Lee and his family live in Mosely, Virginia, near the Swift Creek Reservoir. That location…
Rent To Own Storage Buildings – Fact & FictionRent-to-own sheds can be confusing…. Sometimes they’re a rip-off. Sometimes they work great. What makes the difference?
Many people don’t understand how rent-to-own sheds actually work. It’s not really all that complex. Here we offer you a simple guide to Rent-To-Own sheds.
Skim this post
- How does RTO work?
- When is RTO a good option?
- When is RTO a poor option?
- Bylers and RTO
Rent-To-Own Sheds: What is it?
How does RTO actually work? Is it financing? rental? a backyard alternative to self-storage? No, Yes, and Yes. Let’s sort through the confusion.
- Financing? Is rent-to-own a good way to finance sheds?Hold it! It’s not financing. It’s rental. Since it’s not financing, you’re not paying interest. It’s just like renting a house. You can rent a house for a year, but when you leave it’s still not your house. You can rent a house for 10 years, but when you’re done it’s still not your house. Not even the back porch is yours. Renting sheds is just the same. There’s only one key difference: with RTO, if you rent it long enough (usually 36 months), Byler Barns will finally just “give you the building as a thank you for your patronage.” (Now, if you could just convince your landlord to do the same!)
- Prepayment. If I prepay, shouldn’t the I see the principle drop? Remember, this isn’t financing, so there’s no principle. When you rent a house, you don’t call the owner and ask if your principle has dropped. He’s the one who is paying the principle. If you rent a house, and you pay extra, it simply goes toward your next month’s rent. In the same way, if you are an RTO client, and you pay double, you have simply paid two months’ rent.
- Early purchase option.Can I simply purchase the shed at some point? How much will I pay? Yes, you can certainly purchase the building early. Each month on your invoice, you will see a number that indicates how much it would cost you to buy the building outright. (But remember that this is rental, not financing, so that number goes down less quickly than a loan would.)
What makes Rent-To-Own sheds a GOOD option?
- No credit check required. RTO requires no credit check, which means that you can qualify even if you have a low credit score. Also, a “hard inquiry” (when a financial institution checks to see if you are a good candidate for a loan) can lower your credit score; “no inquiry,” obviously, will not affect your credit score in any way.
- Short term storage. If you are in the process of moving, and need short-term space, RTO may be a good option. You have no obligation to buy, and can have the shed picked up after a few months use at no penalty.
- Self-Storage alternative. If you are renting storage space somewhere, RTO makes an attractive alternative. Get the same amount of space for the same money–but park it in your own back yard. And after 36 months, it becomes your own.
- No obligation. Financial uncertainty is a part of life. With a loan, if you quit paying, your credit score will take a hit and you will know that you didn’t fulfill your obligation. With RTO, you can quit paying the monthly rental at any time–no obligation, and no hard feelings–and the building will be picked up for you. You are never obligated to make that next payment.
When is Rent-To-Own for sheds a POOR option?
- If you know you want to keep the building, and have the cash, pay it off! You’ll get your shed for less.
- If you plan to keep your shed, and are able to get financing at a good rate, that will be a better option. Check the interest rate, but financing is almost always more cost-effective.
We tell the truth.
Of course, not all RTO plans are created equal. Quite frankly, some are carefully designed to take advantage of consumers at every turn. Your best defense is to educate yourself, and to know what questions to ask–and then ask them!
At Bylers, we tell the truth. All the numbers for RTO are printed plainly (and in big print) on your quote. We believe in full disclosure.
At Bylers, we care about you. Our goal is not to just get our fingers in your wallet.
- We want you to have a top-quality building.
- We want you to have a top-quality experience.
We love nothing better than to help you design a building perfect for your needs, and to tailor a payment plan perfect for your needs as well. Our goal is to put a smile on your face, both now and a month from now and a decade from now.
To see if RTO is right for you, check out our locally-owned Rent-A-Shed for more information.